I study how people respond to their social contexts (e.g., social relationships, job demands, peer compensation) as they work to achieve their goals. I am also highly interested in research methods, particularly those involving meta-analysis and social network analysis.
- Downes, P. E., Harris, T. B., & Allen, D. A. (in press). Getting from Valid to Useful: End User Modifiability and Human Capital Analytics Implementation in Selection. Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.22179
- Ferguson, A., Brymer, R., Downes, P. E., & Stoverink, A. (in press). Relieving the pressure: Team familiarity attenuates external conformity pressure on team member decisions. Journal of Management. https://doi.org/10.1177/01492063231160724
- Downes, P. E., & Lee, E. S. (2022). A relational view of shiftwork: Co-scheduling with higher performers. Human Resource Management, 62 (4), 429-443. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.22137
- Downes, P. E., Gonzalez‐Mulé, E., Seong, J. Y., & Park, W. W. (2021). To collaborate or not? The moderating effects of team conflict on performance‐prove goal orientation, collaboration, and team performance. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 94 (3), 568-590. https://doi.org/10.1111/joop.12360
- Downes, P. E., Reeves, C. J., McCormick, B., Boswell, W. R., & Butts, M. (2021). Incorporating job demand variability into job demands theory: A meta-analysis. Journal of Management, 47(6), 1630-1656. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206320916767
- Methot, J. R., Rosado-Solomon, E., Gabriel, A., & Downes, P. E. (2021). Office chit-chat as a social ritual: The uplifting yet distracting effects of daily small talk at work. Academy of Management Journal, 64(5), 1445-1471. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2018.1474
- Downes, P. E., Crawford, E. R., Seibert, S. E., Stoverink, A. C., Campbell, E. M. (2020). Referents or role models? The self-efficacy and job performance effects of perceiving higher performing peers. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106(3) 422-438. https://doi.org/10.1037/apl0000519
- McCormick, B., Reeves, C. J., Downes, P. E., Li, N., & Ilies, R. (2020). Scientific contributions of within-person research in management: Making the juice worth the squeeze. Journal of Management, 46(2), 321-350. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206318788435
- Yu, J., Downes, P. E., Carter, K., & O’Boyle, E. H. (2018). The heterogeneity problem in meta-analytic structural equation modeling (MASEM) revisited: A reply to Cheung. Journal of Applied Psychology, 103 (7), 804-811.
- Yu, J.*, Downes, P. E.*, Carter, K., & O’Boyle, E. H. (2016). The Problem of Effect Size Heterogeneity in Meta-Analytic Structural Equation Modeling. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101(10), 1457-1473. *equal contribution
- Downes, P.E., Kristof-Brown, A. L., Judge, T. A., & Darnold, T. C. (2017). Motivational mechanisms of self-concordance theory: Goal-specific efficacy and person-organization. Journal of Business and Psychology, 32, 197-215.
- Seibert, S. E., Kacmar, K. M., Kraimer, M. L., Downes, P. E., & Noble, D. (2017). The role of research strategies and professional networks in management scholars’ productivity. Journal of Management, 43(4), 1103-1130.
- Downes, P. E., & Choi, D. (2014). Employee reactions to pay dispersion: A typology of existing research. Human Resource Management Review, 24(1), 53-66.
- Multinetwork is an R package for analyzing social networks of groups and teams. Download multinetwork here: multinetwork_0.14.tar.
- Investing in Human Capital is an instructional simulation for advanced HR courses. Developed with Cody Reeves and Erik Gonzalez-Mulé.
- I’ve contributed to Paul Bliese’s multilevel R package to facilitate simultaneous analysis of multiple level-1 variables in mixed effects random coefficient modeling.
- I’ve contributed to an instructor tool for managing course badge administration, which has successfully engaged students in an Introduction to Management course (Cody Reeves led this project).